The Church of the Madonna del Castagno is located in Abbadia San Salvatore and is located in the place where, according to tradition, an image of the Virgin Mary was found painted on a tile hanging from a chestnut tree.
In front of the church a small clearing hosts a piece of land with a beautiful statue dedicated to the Madonna that seems to invite pilgrims to enter.
The Church built in 1524 has a very simple façade with a gabled façade flanked by two pilasters. The portal with a triangular tympanum leads to a rectangular hall decorated with stucco altars. On the main altar there is an image of the Madonna with the child of the ‘700.
A curiosity. The church being very close to the remains of the mercury mine at Abbadia San Salvatore was very popular with miners and their families, a devotion that lasted for many years even after the closure of the establishment.
Where : Vetta dell’Amiata Provincial Road, 47, 53021 Abbadia San Salvatore.